The story of David and Bathsheba is well known, but not known well enough. We will often read it and not really check our own hearts as we ought and so we dont always take out everything that we can.
Last weekend we went through this in our church and while we covered what God thinks of adultery and what the consequences of it can be, we also looked at five mistakes that David made and what he should have done instead.
The five points we covered were:
- Don’t be idle – “through love serve one another”
- Flee these things – “Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness.”
- Manage your thought life carefully – love the Lord your God with all your mind
- Don’t justify sin – watch your conscience for signs of sin
- Don’t cover up your sin – confess your sin
I enjoyed preaching this sermon, and I believe I have another opportunity in a couple of weeks to do it again so I’m looking forward to it.